Friday, December 21, 2012

Day Twenty-Eight

Workout: 9am
—Today was an Arms day—


~Shoulder Press (Palms-In) - (Deltoids) - 15lbs. Resistance - 3 Sets of 15 Repetitions
~Bench Dips - (Triceps) - Body-Weight as Resistance - 2 Sets of 15 Repetitions
~Concentration Curls - (Biceps) - 60lbs. Resistance - 3 Sets of 15 Repetitions
~Wrist Curls (Palms-Up) - (Extensors & Flexors) - 15lbs. Resistance - 3 Sets of 15 Repetitions

Breakfast: 10am
1 Chocolate Visalus Shake (w/Water)

Mid-Morning: Nothing.

Lunch: 1pm
2 Eggs Over-Hard (w/Black Pepper)
1 cup Steamed Brussels Sprouts (w/Butter Sauce)
32oz. Water

Mid-Afternoon: 5pm
4 strips Peppered Bacon
1 bowl Harvest Tomato & Basil Soup
32oz. Water

Evening: 9pm
1 Peanut Butter Cup Visalus Shake (w/Water)

State of Being:
Felt good but sleepy today. Took a nap after lunch. We got our first serious snow of the year here, (it’s snowed before, but without accumulation) and that always puts me in the mood for old movies and/or reading and naps. So, after working out and making calls all morning, I queued up Netflix and watched a little impromptu Twilight Zone marathon (original series,) took a nap, got up and started reading the next book in the Dresden Files series, (I’m up to “Turn Coat.”)

Noggin snuggled-up next to my head as I lay down for my afternoon nap. Having her purr right next to you is the last word in the war against insomnia. It always gets me right to sleep. Between her and the low, white-noise of my CPAP machine, I think I was out in less than thirty seconds. She even made sure to wake me up when it was time for dinner.

"You are feeling sleeeEEEeeepy... Your eyelids are getting heeaaAAAAvvvyyy..."


I noticed today that I am now, apparently capable of getting up out of a chair without using my arms. If you saw my Taking Out the Trash Video, watch how I get up out of my kitchen chair at about 2:31 into the video.

Or, you could also check out about 30 seconds into The Mechanics of a Heavy Walk, for another example. I have to grip the counter, sometimes posting the other hand on my cane or some other stable object and pull myself up to about halfway, then push myself the rest of the way up, so as to settle the weight smoothly and gently onto my knees and ankles. Otherwise it’s very sharp, very immediate agony in all four joints.

Today, after breakfast and doing the dishes, I stood up to put some plates away in the cupboard without even thinking about it. No hands. I even sat down and tried it again, just to make sure I hadn't hallucinated the whole thing. Compared to my usual experience, it felt like I had just floated up out of the chair.

Don't get me wrong, when I start walking around, it still starts hurting and wearing me out in a hurry. But, the initial getting-up onto my feet is vastly improved. I was very pleasantly surprised. Actually, I was beside myself.



Nothing like seeing a milestone to let you know that you're on the right track. There are still many miles to go, and I look forward to finding out what the next surprise is going to be!

Don’t forget to check in with me day after tomorrow for my next weigh-in!
See you later!


Click HERE for My Story

Click HERE to Come With Me



*****

No comments:

Post a Comment