Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Day Forty-Six



Breakfast: Nothing.

Mid-Morning: Nothing.

Lunch: 3pm
1cup Cottage Cheese
4 Green Olives
32oz. Water

Mid-Afternoon: 5pm
1 Grilled Chicken Breast (w/Frank’s Red Hot “Extra Hot”)
16oz. V8 (Spicy Hot)
32oz. Water

Evening: 6pm
1 Chocolate Visalus Shake

Walk-Count: 3


State of Being:
Yeah, meal-time diligence was off today. I missed breakfast and my mid-morning snack.

In spite of that, I feel good.

I received an object lesson in why you shouldn’t weigh yourself frequently when on a weight-loss journey.

On Saturday I weighed-in and came in at 576.6 pounds.

Today, in putting together my Project 10 “Before” Video, I weighed-in again, (only three days later)… at 582.8 pounds.

A gain of 6.2 pounds in THREE DAYS???

Well,… yes and no. The fact of the matter is that your weight fluctuates from day to day, due to a lot of factors, the most prevalent of which being water-retention. A normal-sized person’s body-weight can fluctuate anywhere from +2/-2 to as much as +/-5 pounds from day to day. So, if you factor in that I’m 3 to 4 times the weight of a “normal person” you can realistically expect weight fluctuations of a degree proportionate with my overall body-mass.

If we consider “normal” to be a man who weighs right around 180 pounds, then a fluctuation of 5 pounds, up or down would represent 2.7% of the man’s overall weight. So, since a fluctuation of 5 pounds would not be out of the ordinary for such a man, we can then conclude that it’s normal for a person’s body-weight to fluctuate, up-or-down by 2.7% from day to day.

Going by Saturday’s weigh-in amount of 576.6 pounds, (I’ll even round it off to 577,) 2.7% of my body-weight is 15.6 pounds. So, being that 6.2 pounds is just 1.07% of 577,… it’s actually not much of a fluctuation for someone like me.

Still, I have to be honest here and say that a little pang of discouragement shot through me at those numbers showing up on the scale… and THAT, my friends is why we DO NOT want to weigh ourselves every day. In fact, you don’t even want scale weight to be the primary measuring stick of your progress.

You get into a mindset, (as I did) of seeing the biggest reward, (and your whole reason for doing this, from day to day) as… *Seeing Lower and Lower Numbers on that Scale*. Which is not what we’re after, here.



I’ve mentioned before that I don’t count calories, I don’t count fat-grams, I don’t count “Points” on some kind of arbitrary health-accounting plan, or any other such nonsense. The human body is analogue,… not digital. It’s *feel* -based. I pay attention to how I feel and how the things I’m eating and the exercises I’m doing influence my state of being, both physically and mentally.

Now, that having been said… just because I don’t obsessively count calories, fat-grams, carbs, etc… does not mean that I don’t *look* at the labels while shopping, to make sure that I’m not filling up my fridge with things that are *loaded* with calories, fat-grams, carbs, etc.

What I’m getting at is that it’s not “all” about feel. Just mostly.
The numbers are still important. Very much so, in fact. They’re just not the most important thing.

Video coming up soon.

See you tomorrow!



Click HERE for My Story

Click HERE for My Videos

Click HERE to Come With Me



*****

No comments:

Post a Comment